As the International Maritime Organization’s centre of excellence for postgraduate maritime education, WMU’s mission is to be the world centre of excellence in postgraduate maritime and oceans education, professional training and research, while building global capacity and promoting sustainable development.
The World Maritime University’s work is based on ten core values:
- Leadership: Serve as global maritime leaders in maritime and oceans in postgraduate education, research, training and capacity building
- Integrity: Act equitably, impartially, and fairly in all actions
- Respect: Behave professionally and earn respect of others, both within and outside the organization
- Accountability: Ensure transparency and accountability in actions and outcomes
- Collaboration: Develop and maintain effective working relationships and strong partnerships at all levels
- Innovation: Treat problem solving and work tasks with ingenuity
- Transparency: Encourage open communication and provide access to information
- Efficiency: Strive for timely, cost-effective, and accurate results
- Compliance: Ensure that policies are implemented and complied with
- Sustainability: Support the sustainable development goals and actions relating to the maritime and ocean sectors.