You are here
Quality influences everything at WMU. The entire University community is aware that as a product of multi-national cooperation, WMU must deliver what students, clients, and donors want efficiently and effectively.
A wide range of Quality Assurance measures have been implemented. Monitoring mechanisms are overseen by the Quality Assurance Committee which reports on all aspects of the University's activities.
Everything at WMU must be of the highest possible quality to attract the best students as well as the financing to support them. Throughout the University's strategic planning process, quality enhancement is firmly on the agenda. Staff and students share the responsibility for ensuring that WMU's excellence is recognized by the global community, and that all stakeholders remain assured that support for WMU is a sound investment in the future of the global maritime community.
The Quality enhancement processes have led to the following substantial achievements:
- Six professorial chairs are funded by external donors: three by the Nippon Foundation, one by INMARSAT and one by the Government of Canada.
- External Examiners visit WMU each year, providing a system of bench-marking assessment against the highest international university standards.
- Major research projects have been completed and new ones undertaken.
- The postgraduate program is continually reevaluated and refined ensuring that studying at WMU is the most rewarding possible experience. A more efficient degree structure was implemented in 2010.
- The series of books published under the WMU imprint continues to flourish.
- The WMU Journal of Maritime Affairs is a success.
- The enhanced English and Study Skills Programme continues to raise standards across the board.
- Residential facilities for students have been renovated and improved with a new student lounge providing opportunities for study or socializing in small and large groups.
- Competitive international appointment processes for all professional staff appointments are standard.
The University is committed to openness and transparency, and is prepared to demonstrate that its full range of activities is second to none in the academic arena. WMU has closely involved external experts in the entire Quality Process. A continuing dialogue with graduates, nominating organizations, and sponsoring agencies is carried on, with the valuable assistance of the WMU Board of Governors and the IMO Assembly and Council.